violent vs gentle
- (of colors or sounds) intensely vivid or loud
- effected by force or injury rather than natural causes
- acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or emotional intensity
- marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions; inclined to react violently; fervid
- characterized by violence or bloodshed
My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic semi-literate adolescent.
For winemakers in the Rhone, 2002 was a disastrous year, with violent storms and huge rainfall during the harvest.
Rules exist to be violated, so that the ‘bastard’ may be more violently characterized and the audience engaged in revengeful fury.
- belonging to or characteristic of the nobility or aristocracy
- easily handled or managed
- quiet and soothing
- soft and mild; not harsh or stern or severe
- having little impact
- stroke soothingly
- give a title to someone; make someone a member of the nobility
- cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
But they have an undeniable gentleness and elephantine beauty about them, with their hanging folds of skin and ponderous outlook on life.
I still see Mr. Berman's portable shtender in the shul and I have to smile because I immediately see his warm gentle smile and think about how fortunate I was to have met your father.
The one are fellows called devilish good -- the other, fellows called devilish gentleman like.