hopeful vs desperate vs hopeless
- likely to turn out well in the future
- having or manifesting hope
- an ambitious and aspiring young person
Hopefully, North Norfolk will soon shake off this surreal obsession with the Lib Dems and embrace their NE Cambs neighbour's decent Tory stance.
Hopefully, with two and a half days work last week I made enough money to cover my costs.
Hopefully, some of the more level-headed members of the council can prevail and make the Boom Town fiasco a bust.
- arising from or marked by despair or loss of hope
- fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless
- desperately determined
- showing extreme courage; especially of actions courageously undertaken in desperation as a last resort
- (of persons) dangerously reckless or violent as from urgency or despair
- a person who is frightened and in need of help
Every so often a rabbit would make a desperate, lung-bursting bid for freedom, only to provide an easy target for the twelve-bores.
A senior detective who led the hunt for two armed robbers behind a series of terrifying raids across Bradford today told of the desperate race against time to catch them before someone was shot.
None of us wanted to ‘need’ cigarettes almost desperately and to feel insecure and anxious without them.