compliment vs insult
- say something to someone that expresses praise
- express respect or esteem for
- a remark (or act) expressing praise and admiration
Katherine found herself smiling happily as if the compliment were directed at her own home.
Masters is happy to return the compliment.
The second was rather less complimentary and said he was more non-League than World Cup winner.
- treat, mention, or speak to rudely
- a rude expression intended to offend or hurt
- a deliberately offensive act or something producing the effect of deliberate disrespect
They drew swords, and fought fiercely, cussing and insulting each other as swiftly as they threw blows.
Ignorance of Sarah Palin offends anyone who is educated, it's an insult to the intellectual world, american intelligence.
Many of us are highly educated and your presumptions are most insulting.