- 1) conjunctive Used to link a pair of possibilities
- 2) in an alternative way
- 3) In the manner of alternatives, or that admits the choice of one out of two things.
- 4) In an alternative manner; in a manner that admits the choice or possibility of one out of two things.
- 1) In reciprocal succession; succeeding by turns; in alternate order.
- 2) mathematics By alternation; when, in a proportion, the antecedent term is compared with antecedent, and consequent.
- 3) (Math.) By alternation; when, in a proportion, the antecedent term is compared with antecedent, and consequent.
- 4) in an alternating sequence or position
- 5) In an alternate manner.
- 6) With the omission or intervention of one between each two: as, read the lines alternately; in French prosody male and female rimes occur in couplets alternately.
- 7) In heraldry, according to alternate quarters (which see, under alternate).
- 8) Inanalternatemanner.
- 1) Or alternatively just do your job!
- 2) alternatively ask them for the cheque number.
- 3) alternatively you can use the ones already supplied.
- 4) alternatively use the environmentally friendly approach of cranking the handle.
- 5) alternatively you can take it by place your fingertips on the side of your neck.
- 6) alternatively, try varying the carbs rather than moaning about a suspect wheat allergy.
- 7) alternatively, try serving your whisky over ice.
- 8) alternatively, ask him what the time is and then turn his wrist to admire his watch.
- 9) alternatively, we just rewrite the original a little.
- 10) alternatively, ask for recommendations from friends.
- 11) alternatively, just put them through a hot cycle in the dishwasher.
- 12) alternatively, ask for a contribution to keep the cost below the limit.
- 13) alternatively use large folding doors between rooms to give you the option of open-plan or privacy.
- 14) alternatively, why not take a picture in a gallery?
- 15) alternatively, just dust with sifted icing sugar.
- 16) alternatively, ask an adviser to do this for you.
- 17) alternatively, use this opportunity to switch to a different suite of software.
- 18) alternatively, take the car to a garage and ask the mechanics to look it over.
- 19) alternatively, just chill out in the shelving shallows.
- 20) alternatively, use the best possible potting compost in containers.
- 21) alternatively, try meditation or yoga.
- 22) ‘The Parliament may, alternatively, within three months propose amendments by an absolute majority of its component members.’
- 23) ‘Your working day may not feel like such a slog if you don't hate your job, or alternatively you may find two enjoyable part-time gigs will fit the bill.’
- 24) ‘He asked the mayor to consider either running both Crossrail and District Line trains on the same track or alternatively extending the existing line to Kingston.’
- 25) ‘You could think of it as techno that would like to be a bit hipper, or alternatively house music that would like to be taken a bit more seriously; either way, it can only be a good thing.’
- 26) ‘It is not even compulsory to be able to speak English - alternatively, they could demonstrate their aptitude in Welsh or Scottish Gaelic.’
- 27) ‘They present philosophy as the practice of visiting a museum of ideas and feeling a sense of awe, or alternatively using philosophy as a means of personal therapy.’
- 28) ‘Please, can you either relax the rules so that we can move stock a little easier or alternatively provide enough staff to cope with the regulations you have imposed.’
- 29) ‘Surely it is possible for smokers to visit a cinema or theatre for an hour or two and then light up in an interval in a smoking area or alternatively wait until the end of the performance.’
- 30) ‘He alternatively encourages residents with any concerns to speak to the Ilkley parish councillor who represents their part of the parish.’
- 31) ‘He would reimburse them for the test, provided he was also sent the result or alternatively he would carry out a re-immunisation free of charge.’
- 32) ‘If you win the lottery, try some freshly grated truffle - alternatively, try truffle paste or even a tiny drizzle of truffle oil.’
- 33) ‘Get real, I say, and properly punish these people or alternatively disqualify them from driving if they can't pay.’
- 34) ‘If they do overlap, they will not know which one to choose and so will arbitrarily select one or the other or alternatively may tick both answers.’
- 35) ‘They will have bought the land, or alternatively a builder may well cover the cost of land purchase in his quote for building the property.’
- 36) ‘He may, alternatively, ask the Criminal Cases Review Committee to refer the case to the Court of Appeal, she said.’
- 37) ‘I'll try to get a recording of it, and alternatively it is repeated in a podcast for a week, so I'll post up the link of that tomorrow.’
- 38) ‘All of these cost the NHS money, and could be avoided, or, alternatively, could be covered by insurance.’
- 39) ‘In fact, they are scheming and cheating to get through it, or alternatively, are depressed and dissatisfied.’
- 40) ‘I'd have to say I was content with the status quo or, alternatively, that I wanted change.’
- 41) ‘We would then be in a position to put buyers and sellers together or, alternatively, arrange periodic video sales.’
- 1) Luke watches him, and the TV, alternately for five minutes or so.
- 2) My shoulders were alternately thrown against, then pulled away from the rear door.
- 3) He gives his title alternately as “Minister of Truth and Enlightenment” and “First Piece of Meat.”
- 4) Kennedy's trademark fascination with violence, both physical and psychological, animates these stories in alternately bold and subtle guises: the literal bloodshed in "What Becomes" and "Story of My Life" complements the romantic heartbreak in "Edinburgh" and "Sympathy."
- 5) Starting and ending with the dry ingredients, beat them in alternately with the coffee mixture.
- 6) With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and milk in alternately in 2-3 additions. making sure to begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- 7) "While clearly of a piece with [Bruce] Weber's still photography, the style of the film is fairly unconventional for a doc of its vintage, shot, as it was, in alternately underlit and high-contrast black and white, with interviews set and lit like photo shoots and the highly stylized directorial touch of the filmmaker evident throughout."
- 8) Or, alternately, is it possible that our history is an essential element of our culture, of us as individuals?
- 9) After these came the unfortunate Nicephorus; his looks were those of a man half-dead from the terror of immediate dissolution, and what he possessed of remaining attention, was turned successively to two black-stoled monks, who were anxiously repeating religious passages to him alternately from the Greek scripture, and the form of devotion adopted by the court of Constantinople.
- 10) These and many other questions had been asked and thoroughly discussed by the matrons and daughters of Santa Fé, especially by the latter, to all of whom he had made love and sent flowers and serenaded in turn until, out of sheer desperation, they called alternately upon God and the devil to keep or punish this gay Lothario who loved all and yet none, and who gave such exquisite _fiestas_ in his beautiful _hacienda_.