silent vs noisy
- failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to
- implied by or inferred from actions or statements
- having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility
- marked by absence of sound
- unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
The present study investigated how children spell words that contain silent consonants as their final letter.
This reverse ekphrasis, with its glimpsed, illegible text, hints at the hidden world of the silent reader.
That these are things as silently present and inarguable as iron, or night.
- full of or characterized by loud and nonmusical sounds
- attracting attention by showiness or bright colors
What would you say to Mrs So-and-so who has called to complain about a noisy neighbour?
People feared the development would cause traffic gridlock and claimed noisy fans would make their lives a misery.
The result was a lengthy and noisy competition in self-abasement and mutual re-assurance.