exactly vs about vs approximately
- indicating exactness or preciseness
- in a precise manner
- just as it should be
Who is willing to believe that Alexandria is exactly 5000 stadia from Syene, whatever the value of the stadium?
If there was any hope of holding on to even a shred of her dwindling self-respect, she should do exactly what she knew Margo would do—close the laptop, take her de-scrunchied, perfumed, and nearly thonged self down to the nearest club, pick up the first passably good-looking stranger who asked her to dance, and bring him back to the apartment for some safe but anonymous sex.
And that is exactly why I say "intelligence" in the context of ID is a dormitive principle:
- used of movement to or among many different places or in no particular direction
- in rotation or succession
- in or to a reversed position or direction
- (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct
- (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
- on the move
If you wonder about ‘furphy’, as I did, here's a gloss and explanation.
The aircraft descended into a wetland area and had since been forgotten about as it sank below the surface.
But they have an undeniable gentleness and elephantine beauty about them, with their hanging folds of skin and ponderous outlook on life.