first vs final vs last
- the time at which something is supposed to begin
- the first element in a countable series
- the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate)
- the first or highest in an ordering or series
- indicating the beginning unit in a series
- serving to begin
- highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections
- preceding all others in time or space or degree
- ranking above all others
- prominently forward
- before anything else
- before another in time, space, or importance
- the initial time
When we see her, we remember that hot July day doing five knots pulling Jess and Jerry on a tube and Russ skippering his first yacht.
Blackpool Scorpions notched their first away win of the season against a good attacking Leigh team.
But at lunch on the first day we were approached by the helpful Hotel Manager Henri and offered a swap to an overwater bungalow.
- occurring at or forming an end or termination
- conclusive in a process or progression
- not to be altered or undone
- the final match between the winners of all previous matches in an elimination tournament
- an examination administered at the end of an academic term
When the moment finally comes, one look through his cataract lenses is all it takes.
Two more debates are scheduled in the coming weeks, one debate dealing with education and health will be held in Irbid next week and the final week before elections the southern city of Karak will witness a candidates debate on agriculture and development.
Pulling one back with another penalty - this time converted by the regular taker - they finally conceded a third.