Difference between gainstay and stay
- overcome or allay
- stay behind
- remain behind
- fasten with stays
- (nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar
- a thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset)
- a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted
- the state of inactivity following an interruption
- continuing or remaining in a place or state
A few people were crying, and one girl was very sick and puking, but most people tried to stay calm.
I just stayed the dorm to around and shoot the breeze with a couple of friends.
He's managed to stay calm and controlled when the other slebs have been going a bit mad, and just got on with the winning.