[ UK /wˈeəɹisˌʌm/ ]
[ US /ˈwɪɹisəm/ ]
[ US /ˈwɪɹisəm/ ]
so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness
a dull play
tedious days on the train
the tiresome chirping of a cricket
his competent but dull performance
other people's dreams are dreadfully wearisome
a ho-hum speaker who couldn't capture their attention
the deadening effect of some routine tasks
what an irksome task the writing of long letters is
a boring evening with uninteresting people
How To Use wearisome In A Sentence
- Moreover, he had to worry about all manner of dull work: petitions were read, proclamations heard, and patents and all manner of wordy, repetitious and wearisome papers had to be attended to.
- Sympathising with him eventually becomes somewhat wearisome.
- As it happens to thee in the amphitheatre and such places, that the continual sight of the same things and the uniformity make the spectacle wearisome, so it is in the whole of life; for all things above, below, are the same and from the same.
- I likewise can call the lutist and the singer; but the sounds that pleased me yesterday weary me to-day, and will grow yet more wearisome to - morrow. Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia
- Were they all dead, spring would in vain renew her promise -- wearisome would be the long, long, interminable summer-days -- the fruits of autumn would taste fushionless -- and the winter's ingle blink mournfully round the hearth. The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction Volume 14, No. 406, December 26, 1829
- Vivi couldn't see how anything could go wrong, and never thought of the long-term tenacity of the Director, who was already pondering wearisome sporadic whorl-checks of white-starred bays for years to come. The Elvis Latte
- He offered me his hand, and we were out of sight of all that wearisome, drearisome, uncompanionable company with whom, for eight long weeks at least, we had been dragging our rough way. Erema
- Through it all, waking or sleeping, ran a thread of wearisome pain -- limbs so stiff and flesh so bruised that it seemed to Ann as though the wontedly comfortable mattress on which she lay had been stuffed with lumps of coal. The Vision of Desire
- It would be wearisome to go into any more detail.
- Simple repetitive tasks can be very wearisome.