not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society
was buried with indecent haste
moved to curb their untoward ribaldry
unseemly to use profanity
language unbecoming to a lady
How To Use uncomely In A Sentence
- At the beginning of the film, her Toula is genuinely uncomely.
- I just loved the line ‘not uncomely face’, and as for the denial - well, let me say that Kei is not immune to that, either.
- Though I have no true beauty, I am not uncomely, arrogant as it sounds, and I would have been so entirely flustered I would have embarrassed both myself and the young gentlemen.
- The mother notes Raskolnikov's stubborn nature, mentioning the story of Raskolnikov's insistence on marrying his landlady's uncomely and lame daughter, despite her objections.
- The trio treats their jittery dance-punk like a mad science experiment, haphazardly fusing club-ready basslines with uncomely electronic raucousness.
- Just so, she thought, I cleanse my heart of suspicion's uncomely stain!
- Her 'light-coloured' hair was not so light as to be uncomely, and fell in luxuriant ringlets all round the sides of her pretty head; and the head moved about enough to shake the ringlets, till they threatened to form a mazy net to catch men's eyes. The Hills of the Shatemuc
- She knew that no man of Royal blood could ever want her uncomely daughter as his wife and she knew that Rachel hadn't the personality to attract a man simply for her thoughts.
- The grotesque and uncomely horns that had jutted from the sides were now gone; golden swirls and designs replaced them on the new frame of the mirror.
- Such an uncomely house for a family as prominent as ours, I'll have you know.