[ US /ˈtɹəbəɫɪŋ, ˈtɹəbɫɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /tɹˈʌblɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /tɹˈʌblɪŋ/ ]
causing distress or worry or anxiety
a worrying time
a new and troubling thought
distressing (or disturbing) news
a disturbing amount of crime
a revelation that was most perturbing
lived in heroic if something distressful isolation
a worrying situation
in a particularly worrisome predicament
How To Use troubling In A Sentence
- The truth is we'll never know for sure who would have been better, but the simple fact that party leaders are unwilling to allow its voters to hash these questions out for themselves is troubling.
- These are troubling times we are in mired in, for the Lord is witness to the crimes of his children and has predestined us to suffer for our sins.
- The Obama team's lack of candor and immediate forthcomingness on this question has already ssured that this story will dominate the news for weeks to come as troubling questions occur to us. Election Central Morning Roundup
- More troubling is the endemic problem of which it is a symptom. Times, Sunday Times
- Chinese writers, he confronts the troubling complexities of recent history by means of a simple parable that reaches far beyond the boundaries of its fictional world. The Times Literary Supplement
- Is it troubling that Abba, Vitka, and Ruzka left members of their own families behind in ghettoes that would eventually be taken by the Nazis? The Avengers by Rich Cohen: Questions
- The boarding and takeoff found me only slightly out of sorts; an irritating whining noise near the gate was troubling me.
- To that question, the response can be especially troubling.
- I am not a student or professor of glottology, contenting myself with being able to speak one or two languages without troubling my head over their origin, so I dare not judge upon the affinity more or less remote of the not too sweet Sakai idioms with others, but there seemed to me such a marked difference between the Malay and Sakai phraseologies that My Friends the Savages Notes and Observations of a Perak settler (Malay Peninsula)
- Absorbing throughout, her film is troubling, well-illustrated and cogently argued. Times, Sunday Times