[ UK /tˈɜːmɪnˌeɪt/ ]
[ US /ˈtɝməˌneɪt/ ]
[ US /ˈtɝməˌneɪt/ ]
bring to an end or halt
The attack on Poland terminated the relatively peaceful period after WW I
She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime
be the end of; be the last or concluding part of
This sad scene ended the movie
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed
My property ends by the bushes
Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other
The symphony ends in a pianissimo
terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position
The company terminated 25% of its workers
The boss fired his secretary today
How To Use terminate In A Sentence
- About a meter tall if it stood erect, it must use its short, bowed legs arboreally by choice, for it ran on all fours and either foot terminated in three well-developed grasping digits. The Rebel Worlds
- The poor litigant will wait for the somnolescent process and leisurely pronouncement and the wealthy litigant will have his case speedily terminated. The Hindu - Front Page
- The site benefited from centuries of Indian custom in that it lay athwart an old Indian portage between Lakes Pontchartrain and Borgne and the river, the trail that now terminated as Rue de l' Hôpital.
- - Some floats would get converted incorrection during research planning causing the LUA for tech research to terminate. 4Players.de News
- Brooks found the use of the word terminate very unsettling. Act of Treason
- The most conspicuous result now is the Rideau Canal, an immensely expensive waterway that terminates in Ottawa.
- That occurs because a reduction in shock intensity is immediately discriminable provided that it exceeds some threshold change, but a decrease in shock duration is discriminable only when the briefer shock is terminated.
- The guilty plea goes only to the length of the determinate sentence. Times, Sunday Times
- It may be that the determination with which I exterminate any flies that enter my house is causing famine in the spider population.
- When someone is terminated, sit down with each employee individually and tell them why that happened, Duffy says.