[ US /ˈsmuð/ ]
[ UK /smˈuːð/ ]
[ UK /smˈuːð/ ]
(of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
the quiet waters of a lagoon
scarcely a ripple on the still water
a smooth channel crossing
a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky
a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay
smooth and unconstrained in movement
the fluid motion of a cat
the liquid grace of a ballerina
a long, smooth stride
- of the margin of a leaf shape; not broken up into teeth
(music) without breaks between notes; smooth and connected
a legato passage
of motion that runs or flows or proceeds without jolts or turbulence
a smooth ride
smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication
the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error
he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage
having a surface free from roughness or bumps or ridges or irregularities
water as smooth as a mirror
a smooth road
a smooth tabletop
lacking obstructions or difficulties
the bill's path through the legislature was smooth and orderly
make (a surface) shine
shine the silver, please
polish my shoes
free from obstructions
smooth the way towards peace negotiations
make smooth or smoother, as if by rubbing
smooth the surface of the wood
the act of smoothing
he gave his hair a quick smooth
How To Use smooth In A Sentence
- Having a smooth bore . Use of a gun barrel.
- Your pores should appear minimised and your face will feel smooth. The Sun
- The course of true love never did run smooth.
- He swept his hands up and down the smooth sides, trying to find a notch or groove.
- She smoothed paste wax on the old red linoleum and buffed it by hand.
- Bed doth a goddess inarm; smooth ivory glossy from Indies, Poems and Fragments
- Adele brushes her perfectly manicured fingertips atop the cold, smooth metal of the letter opener.
- He was asleep on the window, looking angelic as the moonlight shone in, making his skin a smooth pale lucid colour.
- The wine possesses a smoothness and balanced depth which is rare at such a low price.
- The smoothly boiled porridge, with its accompaniment of thick yellow cream; the new-laid eggs; the grilled trout, fresh from the stream; the freshly baked "baps" and "scones," the crisp rolls of oatcake; and last, but not least, the delectable, home-made marmalade, which is as much a part of the meal as the coffee itself. Big Game A Story for Girls