[ UK /sˈɪmpəl/ ]
[ US /ˈsɪmpəɫ/ ]
[ US /ˈsɪmpəɫ/ ]
a simple country schoolhouse
her black dress--simple to austerity
having few parts; not complex or complicated or involved
a simple substance
a simple design
a simple problem
- (botany) of leaf shapes; of leaves having no divisions or subdivisions
- lacking mental capacity and subtlety
easy and not involved or complicated
a simple game
found an uncomplicated solution to the problem
elementary, my dear Watson
an elementary problem in statistics
apart from anything else; without additions or modifications
only the bare facts
the simple passage of time was enough
shocked by the mere idea
the simple truth
exhibiting childlike simplicity and credulity
listened in round-eyed wonder
- a person lacking intelligence or common sense
- any herbaceous plant having medicinal properties
How To Use simple In A Sentence
- The side dish the day I visited was a simple mixed olive salad, a mélange of black and green olives with spicy oil.
- I'd live the transient and ephemeral existence of a backpacker for a week, an existence of freedom and simple pleasures.
- She pulled the black scrunchie out of her long glossy red-gold hair, the silky strands having been confined in a simple low, sleek ponytail.
- Our simple submission is the majority in the Court of Appeal got it right for cogent and sound reasons.
- Such an approach not only allows the authors to discuss the work from many different angles, but allows them to do so without implying that the practical quandaries in The Angel of History can be reduced to a simple meaning.
- The styles are simple, with set-in shoulders, pared-down forms and the type of finish you might expect from ready-to-wear. When Just Any Old Lycra Won't Do
- The films he made look simple at first glance, yet already invite a more complicated response.
- Whatever you think of Strandlof and the months he masqueraded as a brain-injured veteran, the simple truth two months after his web of lies came apart is that public disgrace seems to have changed him little. Heroes or Villains?
- Fitness functions include a simple linear problem for binary strings and classification of data sets which are dynamically loaded from a specified data file.
- Tracey is wearing a simple black dress.