[ UK /ʃˈæmən/ ]
[ US /ˈʃeɪmən/ ]
[ US /ˈʃeɪmən/ ]
- in societies practicing shamanism: one acting as a medium between the visible and spirit worlds; practices sorcery for healing or divination
How To Use shaman In A Sentence
- There, the primitive mind practiced animistic shamanism. The Bushman Way of Tracking God
- When Rostnikov repeated that the primary evidence against Samsonov was the testimony of an Evenk shaman, Samsonov had to be restrained by Famfanoff who, surprisingly, found enough strength within his abused body to control the furious doctor. A Cold Red Sunrise
- Eliade likewise noted that shamans managed to “interiorise” a particular cultural mythology or cosmology before having their mystical experiences. Questions Of Faith
- The shaman automatically receives D6 extra magic cards to use during that magic phase.
- Where their debut looked to the KLF, Surfing the Void's psychonautical vocabulary recalls another oddball early 90s dance act, the Shamen, who infiltrated the top 10 with talk of a "shamanic, anarchistic, archaic revival" in the days when trance acts played clubs with names like Megatripolis and expounded on the mystical importance of the number The Guardian World News
- Dirrach allowed himself to wonder if one of the outlanders was a true shaman, and felt his flesh creep. The Magic May Return
- Among the Eskimo the _angakok_, or shaman, trains his child from infancy in the art of sorcery, taking him upon his knee during his incantations and conjurations. The Child and Childhood in Folk-Thought Studies of the Activities and Influences of the Child Among Primitive Peoples, Their Analogues and Survivals in the Civilization of To-Day
- Forest Goblin shamans are prone to run off dizzily, or just blunder about, unable to distinguish fact from venom-induced fiction.
- The content of the original worship of the Tartar was really rich, including nature worship, animal and plant worship, ancestor worship, number worship, Shamanism and other forms of worship.
- The medical practitioner in primitive society, the medicine man, is primarily priest or shaman.