[ US /ˈsɛɫfdɪˌtɝməˈneɪʃən/ ]
- determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion
- government of a political unit by its own people
How To Use self-determination In A Sentence
- It was not just established states that were eager narrowly to define the right of self-determination as a right end colonial status.
- Only in 1920 after Moscow cleared Russian chauvinists out of leadership of the Ukrainian Communist Party did the new Soviet administration seriously address aspirations for self-determination.
- Communist theoreticians debated on the right of self-determination.
- Even the term 'self-determination' has to be modified as religious people may understand the movement of their life not as self-determined but rather as co-determined with God's will. Wolfgang Danspeckgruber: Defining One's Own Destiny: Self-Determination, Religion And The 'Arab Spring'
- The original impetus was that of return, and reversing the so - called loss of Arab land and patrimony, rather than a fulfillment of post-colonial self-determination via the statehood route; a complot designed after 1967 as a new Palestinian identity with at its core the notion of the armed struggle as a galvanizing force. On Thursday, the Legg report will be published along with...
- Your right to self-determination is the cornerstone of our policy. Times, Sunday Times
- Consequently, the struggles for self-determination took various forms as independence to greater autonomy.
- So irrepressible in youth is the thrust to become," one specialist has warned, "that it will surface somehow, if not in constructive self-expression, then in wilful vandalism or defiant apathy or even suicide as an ultimate, tragic expression of self-determination. Our Responsibility to Youth
- Sure, we brag about Louverture; we even sing the praises of the TransAfrica Forum and other groups that champion Haitian self-determination and effective governance. Marcia Dyson: Love in the Time of the Haitian Cholera
- What if we reoriented our international trade and aid policies to focus on fairness, equity, self-determination, and sustainability? Hope Lewis: Can the U.S. Afford Economic Rights in an Economic Crisis?