[ UK /sɪlˈɛkʃən/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɛkʃən/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɛkʃən/ ]
the act of choosing or selecting
you can take your pick
your choice of colors was unfortunate
the person or thing chosen or selected
he was my pick for mayor
an assortment of things from which a choice can be made
the store carried a large selection of shoes
- a natural process resulting in the evolution of organisms best adapted to the environment
a passage selected from a larger work
he presented excerpts from William James' philosophical writings
How To Use selection In A Sentence
- Several selections contain strings of double notes, primarily thirds and sixths.
- Every large town will have quite a few horologers and jewelers with a vast selection of fancy watches displayed their windows, with huge price tags to go with them.
- The remaining three evolutionary forces are nonadaptive in the sense that they are not a function of the fitness properties of individuals: mutation is the ultimate source of variation on which natural selection acts, recombination assorts variation within and among chromosomes, and genetic drift ensures that gene frequencies will deviate a bit from generation to generation independent of other forces. A Disclaimer for Behe?
- It has a great selection of frocks and summer party wear. Times, Sunday Times
- It also discusses the harm in detail according to the comparison of acid gases between different. the research provides selection of fire-extinguishing agents in terms of harms.
- The school's enrolment policy is based on three criteria, after which random selection is used.
- It is well known that if a trait is heritable, the easiest and most practical way to change the trait in a herd of cattle is through selection of the sire.
- Soprano Rosalind Sutherland sings in the New Year with an excellent selection of arias, polkas, marches and waltzes from Strauss.
- We are pleased to offer our clients access to CBX ASIA through our trading platform as we remain fully committed to providing the broadest selection of liquidity in Asia and globally, ensuring that our clients have a unique and dynamic edge when accessing trading venues". Bobsguide Financial Industry News
- We are now told, with equal wonder and admiration, that natural selection is the agent of exquisite design.