[ US /ˈsɛkjəɫɝɪst/ ]
[ UK /sˈɛkjʊləɹˌɪst/ ]
[ UK /sˈɛkjʊləɹˌɪst/ ]
- an advocate of secularism; someone who believes that religion should be excluded from government and education
How To Use secularist In A Sentence
- Perhaps, if one extrapolates from Obama's sibylline statement: Mitt Romney gives the impression of being too much of a secularist and not enough a Christian or too much the supporter of a cult? Denis Lacorne: Secularists Or Christian? The Religious Lives Of American Political Candidates In The Public Sphere
- These developments occurred as tens of thousands of Turks demonstrated in Manisa in support of Turkey's secularist tradition and against the perceived increase of Islamic influence that would follow from Gul's election. Archive 2007-05-01
- Surely, in an ideal world, all the religious would be secularists and all the atheists would be tolerant of the religious?
- And leading secularist Mohamed ElBaradei, the former UN nuclear watchdog chief turned dissident and presidential candidate, condemned what he called a "savage" attempt to disperse the sit-in. NEWS.com.au | Top Stories
- But the move has raised hackles among some secularists in a country whose modern founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, was a renowned drinker of raki , the national anisette spirit. Alcohol Hits Nerve In Turkey
- The leader of Turkey 's main secularist opposition is tearing up the rule book of the party that Ataturk built, as he tries to build a credible alternative to the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Turkish Party Recasts Image
- The sixth and final step for recovering secularists is to understand that this country was never very secular anyway. Kicking the Secularist Habit
- The country is being torn to pieces by conflict between fundamentalists and secularists.
- JESUS LOVES FAGS because it's true and it gets in the face of everybody--the fundamentalists, the evangelicals, the strict secularists, the atheists, the public schools, and some gay people who don't realize yet that Jesus loves them. "The homosexual agenda has been carefully crafted and packaged to change the way Americans think about homosexuality."
- See Stella70 above before making any claims that secularist ideas promote anarchical moral nihilism. Law can be influenced by religion | Jonathan Chaplin