[ UK /sˈæŋɡwɪnəɹi/ ]
marked by eagerness to resort to violence and bloodshed
went after the collaborators with a sanguinary fury that drenched the land with blood
accompanied by bloodshed
this bitter and sanguinary war
How To Use sanguinary In A Sentence
- went after the collaborators with a sanguinary fury that drenched the land with blood
- Many fierce and sanguinary conflicts took place between Saladin and the crusaders, but neither side, for a time, gained any decided advantage.
- Even before this, the reaction of the badly frightened British had been sanguinary and included a revival of the old Mughal punishment of tying captured mutineers over the mouths of cannon and blowing them apart.
- In spite of his recorded acts and utterances the mythopeic faculty of the peoples had given itself free scope and created a messianic democrat destined to free the lower orders, as they were called, in each state from the shackles of capitalism, legalized thraldom, and crushing taxation, and each nation from sanguinary warfare. The Inside Story of the Peace Conference
- But how is it possible to be harsh and not sanguinary, in aspiring to become the Leader of a Revolutionary News Report
- _employe_ which Balzac was to rehandle so often, but drops suddenly into brigands stopping diligences, the marriage of the heroine Annette with a retired pirate marquis of vast wealth, the trial of the latter for murdering another marquis with a poisoned fish-bone scarf-pin, his execution, the sanguinary reprisals by his redoubtable lieutenant, and The Human Comedy: Introductions and Appendix
- Of wounds, indeed, it is rightly and truly said, Nemo repente fuit turpissimus. 15 I was once, I remember, called to a patient who had received a violent contusion in his tibia, by which the exterior cutis was lacerated, so that there was a profuse sanguinary discharge; and the interior membranes were so divellicated, that the os or bone very plainly appeared through the aperture of the vulnus or wound. The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
- Tennyson's sanguinary phrase reflects not a rule of life, but despair at the death of a friend.
- It was maintained that the sanguinary purification imparted by the taurobolium was more efficacious than baptism. The Oriental Religions in Roman Paganism
- I am a sanguinary murderer of time, that would kill him inchmeal just now. The Works of Charles and Mary Lamb — Volume 4 Poems and Plays