[ US /ɹəˈsivd, ɹiˈsivd, ɹɪˈsivd/ ]
[ UK /ɹɪsˈiːvd/ ]
[ UK /ɹɪsˈiːvd/ ]
widely accepted as true or worthy
Received political wisdom says not; surveys show otherwise
a received moral idea
conforming to the established language usage of educated native speakers
received standard English is sometimes called the King's English
How To Use received In A Sentence
- Entry forms for the forthcoming Community Games should have been received by now.
- He has received several teaching awards, as well as the unprecedented award of being ‘the most quotable professor’ by MathSoc.
- He had just received my check and was apoplectic with rage, declaring he never wanted to see or have anything to do with ‘that woman’ - meaning me - again.
- Mediterranean to look out for a French and Spanish squadron, which had been on the coast of Portugal, but returned to Ferrol --- I received all your letters by the Turkish corvette, which is arrived at Messina. The Life of the Right Honourable Horatio Lord Viscount Nelson, Volume 2
- Did we miscalculate how we would be treated and received in Iraq?
- Patients received a conditioning regimen that consisted of total body irradiation (1375 cGy in 11 fractions) with partial lung shielding, thiotepa (10 mg/kg), cyclophosphamide (120 mg/kg), and rabbit antithymocyte globulin (1.5 mg/kg). EurekAlert! - Breaking News
- In addition, experimental flowers that matured a fruit (and therefore received a visit) had significantly larger corollas compared with corollas of flowers that did not initiate a fruit.
- Received telemetry data confirmed the initial phases of the mission to be nominal.
- To date, American Suzuki has received two reports of flame arrester screens detaching from the mounting ring. Product Recalls For The Week of July 3-10, 2010 | myFiveBest
- We received no response and resent the message on September 20.