[ US /ˈɹændəmnəs/ ]
[ UK /ɹˈændəmnəs/ ]
[ UK /ɹˈændəmnəs/ ]
(thermodynamics) a thermodynamic quantity representing the amount of energy in a system that is no longer available for doing mechanical work
entropy increases as matter and energy in the universe degrade to an ultimate state of inert uniformity
- the quality of lacking any predictable order or plan
How To Use randomness In A Sentence
- But those who thought they saw statistical relationships were in fact fooled by randomness.
- In listening to the various opinions, I found a kind of faith continuum, with a total commitment to predestiny and “the devil made me do it” on one end and chaos theory, where even randomness has an order, on the other. I Used to Have a Handle on Life But It Broke
- So, even if we have not yet reached the point of clear-cutting the last proud acre of old-growth randomness, maybe it's not too early to consider the question of long-term supply.
- The proposition that randomness is equal to the Platonic Aeon is not explained.
- Usually, the emphasis is placed on the first type of synchronicity, as it appears to be subjected to greater degree of randomness than the second one.
- And that means nonrandomness extends very deeply into the cell. The Edge of Evolution
- Publishing new writing by way of contests implies a certain metaphysical attitude--the model privileges randomness, divisibility, fragmentation, unknowability, and nondeterminism, perfected and ground through a process of rationalization to the presumed opposite of these conditions. Anis Shivani: Poetry Book Contests Should be Abolished: Why Contests Are the Stupidest Way to Publish First Books
- Many positive results published in the literature rely on the strange nature of randomness. Times, Sunday Times
- (As will be seen, in quantum physics these relationships are reversed and enriched: randomness and chaos underlie and constitute the efficacity of both manifest order and manifest chance.) Chaosmic Orders: Nonclassical Physics, Allegory, and the Epistemology of Blake's Minute Particulars.
- Whatever the motivation, there is a purposefulness about such a journey that separates it from the randomness and pleasure-seeking of mundane travel.