[ US /ˈoʊvɝˌθɹoʊ/ ]
- the termination of a ruler or institution (especially by force)
the act of disturbing the mind or body
she was unprepared for this sudden overthrow of their normal way of living
his carelessness could have caused an ecological upset
cause the downfall of; of rulers
subvert the ruling class
The Czar was overthrown
The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill
How To Use overthrow In A Sentence
- Some were members of Turkey's elite military class known as "pashas," a title of respect harking back to Ottoman military commanders Monday for allegedly planning to blow up mosques in order to trigger a military takeover and overthrow the WN.com - Photown News
- Korsibar in time had been overthrown, and Prestimion's sorcerers had sliced his usurpation out of the history of the world. KING OF DREAMS
- The German military party -- which, as everyone knows, holds the reins of policy in Germany entirely -- have, as far as I can see, done all they could to overthrow Kerenski and set up Im Weltkriege. English
- Now the boy's being hauled before the courts for having been part of a plot to overthrow some tinpot dictator in Equatorial Mongolia or some such place.
- I am for _meddling with slavery everywhere_ -- _attacking it by night and by day, in season and out of season_ (no, it can never be out of season) -- in order to _effect its overthrow_. History of the Negro Race in America from 1619 to 1880. Vol. 2 (of 2) Negroes as Slaves, as Soldiers, and as Citizens
- I was startled at the news that 129 persons were killed last Sunday in the attempt by rebel air force officers to overthrow the government in the capital.
- If properly timed, these throws can quickly get a ball to a baseman to make a play; if it isn't, however, the ball will most likely be overthrown, missing cutoff men entirely along with its target.
- The classic Newtonian view of gravity as a simple force between objects was overthrown by Einstein's vision of gravity as the result of objects warping space and time.
- He thought they could be beaten-that their virtual monopoly of the running shoe market could be overthrown.
- Their goal of restoring the power of the Church hid their aim of overthrowing the republic.