[ US /ˈɑŋkoʊˌdʒin/ ]
- a gene that disposes normal cells to change into cancerous tumor cells
How To Use oncogene In A Sentence
- Cyclin D1 is a key cell cycle regulator and a candidate proto-oncogene, whose deregulation has been implicated in pathogenesis of several types of cancers, including NPC.
- The immortalized cells were then further characterized by heterotransplantation in Nude mice; immunohistochemical staining for relevant HNSCC biomarkers; flow cytometry for surface markers; cytogenetic karyotypic analysis; human papillomavirus and Epstein-Barr virus screening; qRT-PCR for oncogene and cytokine analysis; investigation of activated, cleaved Notch1 levels; and detailed 35,000 gene microarray analysis. BioMed Central - Latest articles
- Interaction between metabolites of chemical carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and DNA can cause mutation in oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes which is believed to initiate the carcinogenic process.
- In addition, the work is the first to show that a class of proteins called steroid receptors, of which the androgen receptor is a member, can become cancer-causing genes known as oncogenes.
- Altieri will also be the West Philadelphia institute's chief scientific officer and professor in the Wistar molecular and cellular oncogenesis program. National Business News - Local Business News | bizjournals
- In any case, what he found was that treating two different leukemia and lymphoma cell lines with ascorbate at those concentrations before treating them with chemotherapeutic agents, including mechanistically dissimilar agents such as doxorubicin, which intercalates with DNA and causes DNA breaks; methotrexate, which inhibits folate metabolism; cisplatin, which crosslinks DNA; vincristine, which interferes with microtubule function; and imatinib mesylate (better known by its trade name of Gleevec), a selective inhibitor of the activity of a protein called bcr-abl, which is the oncogene that plays a central role in the development of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Adrian Monck
- The FeLV-induced tumors are thought to be caused, at least in part, by somatically acquired insertional mutagenesis in which the integrated provirus may activate a proto-oncogene or disrupt a tumor suppressor gene.
- The normal expression of proto-oncogenes plays an important role in the regulation of spermatogonial mitosis , spermatocyte meiosis as well as spermiogenesis and sperm maturation.
- Thus, most hereditary cancer syndromes are the result of inherited mutations in tumor suppressor genes rather than oncogenes.
- These ranged from large genomic amplifications or deletions, such as amplification of the entire 17q arm, to more discrete changes, such as a two-megabase amplification encompassing the MYC oncogene. Embryonic Stem Cell Lines Prove Unstable | Impact Lab