[ UK /njˈuːtɹiənt/ ]
[ US /ˈnutɹiənt/ ]
[ US /ˈnutɹiənt/ ]
- any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- any substance (such as a chemical element or inorganic compound) that can be taken in by a green plant and used in organic synthesis
of or providing nourishment
good nourishing stew
How To Use nutrient In A Sentence
- In a healthy pregnancy, cells that come from the embryo's placenta-called trophoblast cells-move into the walls of the uterus and help to open up maternal arteries, thereby increasing the available blood and nutrient supply. Slate Articles
- Zoophagous insects extract nutrients from a living animal host and represent a broad group of parasitic insects.
- And there was no response in effect to nutrient content grads of internode length and ramets amount.
- Most soils are dominated by quartz sand, and are acidic, xeric, and have a very limited nutrient supply; they are coarser, drier, less fertile, and less suited to agriculture than the mesic soils of Ecoregion 84d. Ecoregions of New Jersey (EPA)
- Don't spurn organic fertilizers that are low in nutrients, because they're rich in organic matter that turns to valuable humus in the soil.
- Phosphorus was the nutrient element limiting the eutrophication of the lake.
- In many areas, this year's bumper crop means exceptionally high removal of nutrients.
- Trophic means concerned with nutrition, and oligotrophic lakes are poorly fed; that is, they have a low concentration of nutrient elements such as nitrogen and phosphorus.
- ZUCCHINI The sight-saving plant pigment called lutein is lost in cooking; so is vitamin C. BROCCOLI Eat it raw, and you'll get a hefty helping of potent plant nutrients that lower your risk of blood clots, plus vitamin C, and an enzyme that may demolish precancerous cells. Thestar.com - Home Page
- Assuming that I don't have some sort of malignant brain tumor *knocks wood furiously*, it must be that this alien life-form, this adorable-but-nonetheless-parasitic superbeing, is sucking every nutrient from my body and turning these to his own nefarious supergrowth purposes. Pass The Smelling Salts