[ US /ˈnukɫiəs/ ]
[ UK /njˈuːklɪəs/ ]
[ UK /njˈuːklɪəs/ ]
- any histologically identifiable mass of neural cell bodies in the brain or spinal cord
- the positively charged dense center of an atom
- the central structure of the lens that is surrounded by the cortex
- a part of the cell containing DNA and RNA and responsible for growth and reproduction
- (astronomy) the center of the head of a comet; consists of small solid particles of ice and frozen gas that vaporizes on approaching the sun to form the coma and tail
a small group of indispensable persons or things
five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program
How To Use nucleus In A Sentence
- Fertilization therefore results in an egg carrying a nucleus with contributions from both parents, and it was concluded that the cell nucleus must contain the physical basis of heredity.
- Immediately above the anterior perforated substance, the pear-shaped head of the caudate nucleus is confluent with the putamen of the lentiform nucleus.
- A stimulant action on the parasympathetic portion of the oculomotor nucleus (third cranial nerve) is responsible for pupillary miosis.
- Deuterium is a relatively insensitive nucleus because it has a low gyromagnetic ratio and the spectral intensity is generally spread over an extremely wide frequency range due to the quadrupole interaction.
- The essential and indispensable element of the nucleus is called nuclein (or caryoplasm); that of the cell body is called plastin (or cytoplasm). The Evolution of Man — Volume 1
- The strong force is the one that is dominant in the atomic nucleus, acting between the quarks inside the proton and the neutron.
- When the Spanish landed in 1531, Peru's territory was the nucleus of the highly developed Inca civilization.
- The spacecraft will orbit the comet's nucleus.
- The complementary substances or substituent groups with which these nuclei are more or less firmly combined in nature exert a stabilizing and perhaps otherwise favorable influence on the curative nucleus, but do not themselves possess the vitamine type of physiological potency. The Vitamine Manual
- The water going down your plughole, the planets going around the sun, the electrons spinning around a nucleus, they all reflect the same dynamic tension between opposing forces.