[ US /ˌnɑtwɪθˈstændɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /nˌɒtwɪðstˈændɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /nˌɒtwɪðstˈændɪŋ/ ]
despite anything to the contrary (usually preceding a concession)
he was a stern yet fair master
although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it
granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go
while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed
How To Use notwithstanding In A Sentence
-  Empiricism ” that is, a posteriori investigations, based on actual facts and not a priori deductions from theories, or general laws, did good service before Froebel's time, and will do good service yet, Froebel notwithstanding. Autobiography of Friedrich Froebel
- Notwithstanding, it takes a good deal of thought to achieve such a transformation, and it is an ability purportedly in demand but sadly lacking in supply within the framework of most biennales.
- McCoy had fully embraced the idea of belated fatherhood his declarations to the contrary notwithstanding. The Better Man
- Adopting, the additional computative burden imposed by it notwithstanding, Schonfeld's modification of Airy's formulæ, he introduced into his equations a fifth unknown quantity expressive of a possible stellar drift in galactic longitude. Scientific American Supplement, No. 829, November 21, 1891
- This fact confirms the connection which we find, notwithstanding the difference of fracture and of specific gravity between the saussurite and the siliceous basis of the porphyrschiefer, which is the phonolite Personal Narrative of Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America, During the Year 1799-1804 — Volume 2
- Island on the L.S. is one of the worst quick or moveing sand bars Which I have Seen, notwithstanding all our precaustons to Clear the Sands and pass between them (which was the way we were compd. to pass, from the immence Current & falling banks on the S. S.) the Boat Original journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804-1806
- The young man — fortified as he was by a natural cynical pride and passionateness — winced at this unexpected reply, notwithstanding. A Changed Man
- While she brings experience and sagacity, such a slim volume on such large topic demands a few leaps of faith, notwithstanding the appended 56 pages of interesting notes and comments.
- This is as dark and downbeat as they come, the occasional lighter moments of banter notwithstanding.
- In fact, the title notwithstanding, it's one of the most remarkably faithful sequels you'll ever see, in tone, setup, and execution. Alex Remington: Harold & Kumar 2: Best War on Terror Movie Ever (Though That's Not Saying Much)