[ UK /njˈuːəl/ ]
- the post at the top or bottom of a flight of stairs; it supports the handrail
- the central pillar of a circular staircase
How To Use newel In A Sentence
- A round steel newel post supports a spiral oak volute and anchors the balustrade to a wide bottom step.
- This renewel of the Palin assault is not for entertainment. Fey likely to revive Palin impersonation
- One trip to Mr. Regal's space at the chicly renovated Newel showroom on 53rd Street and I was ready to pretend to invest in Old World. Really Fine Prices for Fine Antiques
- She raced past the library, nearly stumbling as she grabbed hold of the newel post at the base of another flight of stairs. Charlotte’s Family Tree « A Fly in Amber
- With one hand on his hip, the other on the newel post, he waited at the bottom of the stairs. DANSVILLE
- The much-publicised case of Samit Patel is instructive, for no one would accuse Mike Newell, his county coach, of not being cognisant of the requirements and endeavouring to encourage him into what amounts to a lifestyle change. Cricketers today cannot afford to ape hard-living Ian Botham | Mike Selvey
- Taking advantage of favouring spells, I managed to effect my exit and gain the newel-post ere the next series of rolls came. CHAPTER XXX
- The spent cartridge cases were found lying fairly close together, and the nearest of them appears from the scale plans placed before the jury to have been lying a little less than 4 metres from the newel post at the foot of the stairs.
- Eleven plant species listed as threatened in the United States 'statutes are found in the park; Palmer amsonia Amsonia palmeri, goldenweed Haplopappus salicinus, Draba asprella var. kaibensis, plains cactus Pediocactus bradyi, scouler catchfly Silene rectiramea, phacelia Phacelia filiformis, wild buckwheats Eriogonum darrovii, E. thompsonae var. atwoodi and E. zionis var. coccineum, primrose Primula hunnewellii and clute penstemon Penstemon clutei. Grand Canyon National Park, United States
- Wrap large bundles of nandina berries with florist's tape, add a bow and hang on a door, newel post or mailbox.