[ UK /hˈɛl/ ]
[ US /ˈhɛɫ/ ]
[ US /ˈhɛɫ/ ]
any place of pain and turmoil
when you're alone Christmas is the pits
the inferno of the engine room
the hell of battle
noisy and unrestrained mischief
a cause of difficulty and suffering
war is hell
go to blazes
How To Use hell In A Sentence
- The bombardment of the GPO had fascinated MacMurrough: the annunciatory puffs of smoke and the flames that roared to greet them; then the crashing gun’s report, the shell’s eruption—an illogical sequence, effect before cause, an object lesson in the madness of war. At Swim, Two Boys
- Spanish-American War of 1898 Edison suggested to the Navy Department the adoption of a compound of calcium carbide and calcium phosphite, which when placed in a shell and fired from a gun would explode as soon as it struck water and ignite, producing a blaze that would continue several minutes and make the ships of the enemy visible for four or five miles at sea. Edison, His Life and Inventions
- The new taxon is named Gamerabaena, and the authors note, under etymology, "'Gamera refers to the fictional, firebreathing turtle from the 1965 movie Gamera, in allusion to his fire-breathing capabilities and the Hell Creek Formation ... "Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done."
- On y remarque _Le Mât_ qui est une Colonne en forme de Mât, autour duquel se trouvent des echellons servant à monter pour developer les hanches et la poitrine; _les Colonnes_ ou piliers, exercice servant à mettre le corps droit. A tour through some parts of France, Switzerland, Savoy, Germany and Belgium
- It likewise furthered the career of Mary Shelley as "The Author of Frankenstein," the rubric under which she continued her anonymous publication with a second novel immersed in medieval Italian history, Valperga: or, The Life and Adventures of Castruccio, Prince of Lucca (1823). Biography
- Another category of vessels and flatware was distinguished by the use of precious stones or exotic materials, such as coral, mother-of-pearl, or coconut shell.
- Labour is naturally a bit shell-shocked finding itself out of office for the first time in 13 years. Times, Sunday Times
- Chile's top constitutional court blocked a government bid to promote the free distribution of the morning-after pill to minors aged 14 and over, dealing a new setback to President Michelle Bachelet.
- LONDON, February 4/PRNewswire-FirstCall/-- The Board of Royal Dutch Shell plc ( "RDS") today announced an interim dividend in respect of the fourth quarter of 2009 of US$0. 42 per A and B ordinary share, an increase of 5% over the US dollar dividend for the same quarter last year. The Earth Times Online Newspaper
- From the early 1620s, coastal Indians supplied wampum (sacred shell beads, polished and strung in strands, belts, or sashes) to Dutch traders who exchanged it with inland natives for beaver pelts.