[ UK /ɡˈəʊʃ/ ]
[ US /ˈɡoʊʃ/ ]
[ US /ˈɡoʊʃ/ ]
lacking social polish
too gauche to leave the room when the conversation became intimate
their excellent manners always made me feel gauche
How To Use gauche In A Sentence
- It's considered gauche to flaunt your wealth. Times, Sunday Times
- Yes, yes: I realize it's gauche to go on about the Strokes.
- Moi j'etais dans la voiture a un stop donc je n'ai pas pu aider la vieille femme qui 'perdue' est resté abasourdie au milieu du passage clouté immobile a regarder de droite a gauche ... Pinku-tk Diary Entry
- As such, he was utterly made for the job, as his combination of physical clumsiness, verbal ineptitude and unwaveringly glaikit expression must have made even the most gauche and pallid code-cruncher feel like a cocksure sophisticate. Be My Enemy
- What makes the Jack Flash sequences arguably escapist is not just their gaucheness but the vicarious thrill of his anti-establishment rebellion. Essay Rant Thingy
- I have, too, a sort of spiritual gaucherie which makes me unapt to participate in any rite.
- We're all a bit gauche when we're young.
- He takes his place in the new date-unspecific, genre-bending scheme of things with assurance rather than gaucheness. Times, Sunday Times
- The bill would add five lysosomol storage diseases to the newborn screening panel: Pompe disease or acid maltase deficiency; Krabbe disease or globoid cell leukodystrophy; Gaucher's disease; Niemann-Pick disease; and Fabry disease. Clovis News Journal : News
- I think she was a little gauche, thoroughly charmed by the literary excitement of it all, and didn't realise he was maybe a little more amorous than she gave him credit for.