[ US /fɔɹˈswɛɹ/ ]
[ UK /fɔːswˈeə/ ]
[ UK /fɔːswˈeə/ ]
formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure
She abjured her beliefs
He retracted his earlier statements about his religion
How To Use forswear In A Sentence
- The word forswear has appeared in 15 Times articles over the past year, including in a March 14, 2010 NYT > Home Page
- Over the past 20 years, incentives have been used to successfully encourage other emergent and existing nuclear weapons powers to forswear the bomb, making the world a much safer place.
- Crunchy Frog says: libarbarian: I suppose this attitude explains why Conservatives react to the adoption of their ideas by liberals not by saying “thanks for coming around” but rather by abandoning and forswearing their own previous ideas. The Volokh Conspiracy » Jonathan Rauch on David Frum on the Conservative Movement
- It was the Biblical apple with which man was seduced to forswear his innocence in order to gain knowledge and sexuality.
- And also that he forswear not him in judgment, ne make no leasings to annoy ne grieve another, nor he ought not to missay ne speak evil of others in intention to impair his good name and fame, for it is deadly sin. The Golden Legend, vol. 1
- Thus the Brotherhood has gone out of its way in recent weeks to appear in the most benign light, making an ally of former IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei and forswearing any immediate political ambitions. Understanding the Muslim Brotherhood
- If I transgress this oath and forswear myself, may I be forced to live with arts graduates and become an expert on the theoretical control of space and time.
- Zinoviev, on the contrary, demanded an immediate signing of the peace, forswearing the propagandist possibilities of Brest Litovsk. My Life
- Or, that oaths made in reverential fear Of love, and his wrath, any may forswear ? THE CALLIGRAPHER
- Now if I keep this oath and break it not, may I enjoy honor, in my life and art, among all men for all time; but if I transgress and forswear myself, may the opposite befall me.