[ UK /ɪpˈɪsəl/ ]
[ US /ɪˈpɪsəɫ/ ]
[ US /ɪˈpɪsəɫ/ ]
- a book of the New Testament written in the form of a letter from an Apostle
How To Use Epistle In A Sentence
- But I find it hard to make a judgment one way or the other, because the Pastoral Epistles are widely accepted as being pseudepigraphical, and yet I find it hard to imagine someone who idolizes Paul enough to write in his name penning 1 Timothy 1:15. Review of Doubting Jesus' Resurrection
- In sum, the histories and the prophecies of the Old Testament and the gospels and epistles of the New Testament have had one and the same scope, to convert men to the obedience of God: 1. in Moses and the priests; 2. in the man Christ; and 3. in the Apostles and the successors to apostolical power. Leviathan
- I say, I would suppose that this might divert our doctor from casting his eye upon Vedelius, whose defensative would have informed him that these epistles had been opposed as false and counterfeit before ever Salmasius or The Doctrine of the Saints��� Perseverance Explained and Confirmed
- The epistle is 2 Corinthians 6. 1-10 and the Gospel Matthew 4. 03/01/2003 - 04/01/2003
- Macedonians,  278; apparent discrepance of the two Epistles explained,  288; the second, gentler,  295; loved by Paul more than other churches,  296; estranged from the incestuous person, NPNF1-12. Saint Chrysostom: Homilies on the Epistles of Paul to the Corinthians
- After each prophecy, (and the Tract that follows the fourth, eighth and eleventh) the priest, standing as usual at the Missal on the Epistle side, with the deacon and subdeacon in line behind him, sings “Oremus”; the deacon sings “Flectamus genua”, and all kneel for a moment of silent prayer, then the subdeacon sings “Levate”, and all rise for a collect, as already mentioned for the Mass of the Presanctified. Compendium of the 1955 Holy Week Revisions of Pius XII: Part 6.1 - Holy Saturday and the Blessing of the New Fire, Procession, Exultet, Prophecies
- The collection begins with an epistle describing the courage and tension of a soldier waiting in the snow.
- For neither did Peter personally minister to the churches in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, Bithynia, though he wrote his Epistles to them. Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible
- In New Testament terms, it is as if the Epistles were preserved, without any of the four Gospels or Acts of the Apostles.
- When James Guthrie was lying ill and like to die, he called in his man, James Cowie, to read in the Epistle to the Romans to him, and when Cowie came to these words, 'I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy,' his master burst into tears, and said, 'James, I have nothing but that to lippen to.' Samuel Rutherford