[ UK /dɹˈæɡ/ ]
[ US /ˈdɹæɡ/ ]
[ US /ˈdɹæɡ/ ]
force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action
don't drag me into this business
They were swept up by the events
suck in or take (air)
draw on a cigarette
draw a deep breath
pull, as against a resistance
These worries were dragging at him
He dragged the big suitcase behind him
- walk without lifting the feet
- move slowly and as if with great effort
persuade to come away from something attractive or interesting
He dragged me away from the television set
proceed for an extended period of time
The speech dragged on for two hours
use a computer mouse to move icons on the screen and select commands from a menu
drag this icon to the lower right hand corner of the screen
draw slowly or heavily
- search (as the bottom of a body of water) for something valuable or lost
to lag or linger behind
But in so many other areas we still are dragging
- the phenomenon of resistance to motion through a fluid
clothing that is conventionally worn by the opposite sex (especially women's clothing when worn by a man)
he went to the party dressed in drag
the waitresses looked like missionaries in drag
a slow inhalation (as of tobacco smoke)
he took a drag on his cigarette and expelled the smoke slowly
he took a puff on his pipe
something that slows or delays progress
too many laws are a drag on the use of new land
taxation is a drag on the economy
something tedious and boring
peeling potatoes is a drag
the act of dragging (pulling with force)
the drag up the hill exhausted him
How To Use drag In A Sentence
- Richardson, are proprietors of shows, and the berouged, bedraggled creatures who exhibit on the platform outside for their living. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine — Volume 53, No. 327, January, 1843
- She was all cold and bedraggled after falling into the river.
- To reduce the wing trim drag, the fuselage was fitted with lateral surfaces called chines, which actually converted the forward fuselage into a fixed canard which developed lift.
- When fishing the ocean you need a good quality reel that is corrosion proof and fitted with a good quality and workable drag system that won't seize up when you hook that big one.
- The series ended with a battle between a door car and a dragster.
- The Chinese Dragon Boat Festival is a significant holiday celebrated in China, and the one with the longest history. The Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated by boat races in the shape of dragons. Competing teams row their boats forward to a drumbeat racing to reach the finish end first.
- It took yards of line off a hard-set drag, and it all but pulled me off my ledge.
- The pacing was uneven, and the early second act dragged.
- I didn't move until I heard slow footsteps and peaked over the top of the gold to see Garren warily approaching the dragon, favoring his left leg.
- I even dragged my acrophobic mother up mountains in the Auvergne, only to leave her quivering halfway up while I persevered alone to the top.