[ US /ˈkɑmpɫɛks, kəmˈpɫɛks/ ]
difficult to analyze or understand
he's more complex than he seems on the surface
a complicated problem
complicated Middle East politics
complicated in structure; consisting of interconnected parts
a complex set of variations based on a simple folk melody
a complex mass of diverse laws and customs
- (psychoanalysis) a combination of emotions and impulses that have been rejected from awareness but still influence a person's behavior
a conceptual whole made up of complicated and related parts
the complex of shopping malls, houses, and roads created a new town
- a compound described in terms of the central atom to which other atoms are bound or coordinated
- a whole structure (as a building) made up of interconnected or related structures
How To Use complex In A Sentence
- These deals are large and complex, requiring a lot more than just a "consigliere" -- a term always used with "The Godfather" playing in the background -- sitting in a dark room plotting with a CEO. Robert Teitelman: Svengalis, Bankers and the Role of Intermediaries
- It makes data generators, multimeters and oscilloscopes, as well as semiconductors, optoelectronic components and RF chip sets - all very complex products that require a great deal of customization for individual customers.
- It's a bit unexpected not to include any measures of syntactic complexity - even something as simple as mean sentence length.
- Dengue 1-4 Antigen + conjugated monoclonal antibodies = antigen-MAb complex Sandwich of anti-human IgG antibody / Serum Antibody / antigen-MAb complex AI > Recently Uploaded Slideshows
- Although the complex has only been open for a couple of months both men are happy they have managed to get the mix of activities correct.
- After only a few minutes my normally florid complexion had begun to resemble Florida. Times, Sunday Times
- Thus, the power of drawing iron is one of the ideas of the complex one of that substance we call a loadstone; and a power to be so drawn is a part of the complex one we call iron: which powers pass for inherent qualities in those subjects. An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
- That not only means that more information can be crunched at once, but these chips can also handle more complex instructions.
- He had a thin face, a pasty complexion and a long thin nose.
- He provides clear explanations of complex economic issues, using anecdotes to illustrate each point.