- (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Latin Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
How To Use Church Father In A Sentence
- Here Rose collates the writings of the Church Fathers to give us ‘an Orthodox patristic commentary on Genesis’.
- Yes, many of the early Church Fathers were millenarians, and so were some later Catholics and Protestants.
- The Roman Catholic church fathers took strong stands on the question of usury, which they saw as not merely excessive interest, but any injustice in trade.
- The venerable church father approached the Bible as if he were sitting down to a beautifully presented, sumptuous banquet feast.
- These Early Church Fathers such as Polycarp, Ignatius, and Clement knew the Apostles personally and were appointed to shepherd several local churches. LDS Doctrine
- Now if people would cease to read all the junk by the Church Fathers and modern theologians and turn to the Word, they would be informed.
- If that's what John Paul II and Benedict XVI have been trying to do, well, I'll just say that quoting previous councils and popes and Church Fathers and Doctors and Holy Scripture is NOT a very smart way to go about it. Landmark Address on the Responsibilities of Universities Freedom has a purpose
- Just as Aquinas respected the Church Fathers, I think there is room within "Thomism" as a theological tradition to recognize that the Church's liturgy is a part of Sacred Tradition and thereby incorporate it as a theological source, using the insights of insights of theologians like Fr. Archive 2008-07-13
- However, there were other Church Fathers who defended the value of studying classical literature and philosophy.
- Some of the early Church Fathers stated for the record that it was blasphemous to celebrate this festival.