express the need or desire for
She called for room service
when you call, always ask for Mary
She requested an extra bed in her room
require as useful, just, or proper
It takes nerve to do what she did
This job asks a lot of patience and skill
success usually requires hard work
This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert
This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent
This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice
gather or collect
You can get the results on Monday
They pick up our trash twice a week
She picked up the children at the day care center
request the participation or presence of
The organizers invite submissions of papers for the conference
How To Use call for In A Sentence
- Second, if a Palestinian state is recognized along the 1967 lines in point of fact, nothing more than the 1949 armistice lines, this undermines UN Security Council Resolution 242 and 338 and the Camp David Accords, which call for a negotiated outcome and do not predetermine final boundaries. David Harris: Support Peace: Oppose Palestinian UN Gambit
- We call for the immediate return to democratic institutions, to convoke an extraordinary session of the General Assembly (GA), to defend institutions in Honduras. Laura Carlsen: Live Blog: OAS Session on Honduran Coup
- An unexpected call for a no-confidence vote against Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung over his handling of a debt crisis at one of Vietnam's biggest state-owned firms shows that the political fallout from the country's worst-ever financial scandal might just be starting, analysts say. Vietnamese Premier Faces Fallout on Vinashin
- They may at the least call for a right to prenotification before publication. Times, Sunday Times
- A perfect mob of street urchins, loafers, shop-men and bar-keepers who could spare a bit of time, lined up in front of the Palace Hotel and watched the plaid-coated, gray-capped visitors in short knickerbockers and golf stockings puff their pipes around the bar and call for "Porter and h'ale, 'alf and The Transformation of Job A Tale of the High Sierras
- There's not much call for fur coats these days.
- It will call for improved career structures to be put in place to attract doctors to rural practices and for them to be given support to keep them in their jobs.
- Q As I understand it, the legislation will also call for an independent study of the taggant issue. Press Briefing By Mary Ellen Glynn
- New guidelines to independent appeals panels call for them to take into account the impact on the whole school of bringing back excluded pupils, and not to reinstate pupils on a technicality.
- After facing a barrage of criticism from the aircraft industry, the federal government issued a call for a single tender last December, just days after Chretien left office.