[ UK /ɐsˈuːmɪŋ/ ]
[ US /əˈsumɪŋ/ ]
[ US /əˈsumɪŋ/ ]
an assumptive person
on a subject like this it would be too assuming for me to decide
the duchess would not put up with presumptuous servants
How To Use assuming In A Sentence
- Assuming that 15 pound breaking strain line is used, an angler using monofilament might have to use a six or eight ounce sinker and use a 20 lb class rod to carry that sinker weight.
- The opposite change occurs in what are termed fastigiate varieties, where the branches, in place of assuming more or less of a horizontal direction, become erect and nearly parallel with the main stem as in the Vegetable Teratology An Account of the Principal Deviations from the Usual Construction of Plants
- Animals were visitors from the other world temporarily assuming animal shapes.
- He is liked by every one in the auberge, which is more than can be said of yourself; he is always good tempered, and is quiet and unassuming. A Knight of the White Cross : a tale of the siege of Rhodes
- The Holy Alliance was the joint labour of an unfortunate man who had suffered a terrible mental shock and who was trying to pacify his much-disturbed soul, and of an ambitious woman who after a wasted life had lost her beauty and her attraction and who satisfied her vanity and her desire for notoriety by assuming the rôle of self-appointed Messiah of a new and strange creed. The Story of Mankind
- I am assuming as they are looking for the will that the flash sidewards was taking place shortly after the plane had landed, at which point Kate is on the run from the police and definitely not bringing up a child. LOSTCasts 82: The Lighthouse
- Assuming of course (4) that Germany, which wants to revise the Lisbon Treaty to apply the new rules EU-wide, and France, which wants nothing to do with a re-opening of the Treaty and therefore wants the fines to apply only in euroland, can resolve their differences. Euroland Should Prepare for More Ups and Downs in Its Yo-Yo Economy
- Note the telling musical score, anticipating events, cueing the audience as to when to be scared, assuming we cannot figure that out ourselves.
- Assuming that I don't have some sort of malignant brain tumor *knocks wood furiously*, it must be that this alien life-form, this adorable-but-nonetheless-parasitic superbeing, is sucking every nutrient from my body and turning these to his own nefarious supergrowth purposes. Pass The Smelling Salts
- And yet we should be cautious in history of assuming _post hoc propter hoc_. The Age of the Reformation