How To Use American coot In A Sentence
- Of course, native birds such as the American coot, mallard, and Brewer's blackbird also used this valuable oasis.
- We see two American coots, which are black, white-billed rails that behave very similarly to ducks.
- However, there were plenty of resident shorebirds hanging out in the lagoon as well, such as the American coot, killdeer, and American avocet.
- Among American coots, for example, chicks hatch already sporting a red head splotch, and when feeding their broods, parents consistently favor offspring with the reddest adornment.
- The American Coot is a medium-sized bird with a white bill, yellow legs, and lobed toes.
- American coots also nest at quite high densities so there are more potential host nests available.
- However, the American coot's most surprising defense against sneaky egg-layers is its ability to count.
- A recent study shows that American coots are able to distinguish between parasitic eggs and their own, and are able to ‘count’ their clutch size.