[ US /ˈæˌdʒəŋkt/ ]
[ UK /ˈæddʒʌŋkt/ ]
[ UK /ˈæddʒʌŋkt/ ]
furnishing added support
an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism
The mind and emotions are auxiliary to each other
an ancillary pump
- of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another
- something added to another thing but not an essential part of it
- a construction that can be used to extend the meaning of a word or phrase but is not one of the main constituents of a sentence
- a person who is an assistant or subordinate to another
How To Use adjunct In A Sentence
- Sometimes he is also assisted by an adjunct who will later represent him during absences.
- It is doubtful if he realized that a parasol is a purely feminine adjunct; -- although the Mistress always declared he did. Further Adventures of Lad
- It assumes that the virtual is a substitute for the material realm, rather than an adjunct to it.
- If there's a market for appliances, it is as an adjunct to PCs rather than as an alternative.
- You can even use a limited amount of starchy adjuncts - such as flaked maize, flaked oats or flaked barley FriendFeed - georgeh
- Shortly before he retired from the waterfront, Hoffer became an adjunct professor at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Like participles, adjectives and also some idiomatic preposition phrases, when used as adjuncts, need an understood subject (or, it might be better to say, a target of predication) to be filled in if they are to be understood.
- After seven years as a very part-time adjunct, I'm still amused by how irked my students are by all the things I don't know, examples of which have included medieval embroidery, Celtic languages, metallurgy, neopaganism, Scottish history, regional developments in medieval agriculture, and the 40 most recent fantasy novels about Arthur and Guenevere. Beowulf Hobbyists of the World, Unite!
- Taking my own advice about applying to previous employers, I then submitted my vita to a medium-sized historically Black college where I also had worked as an adjunct professor.
- Therefore, enzyme supplementation should be an adjunct to, not a substitute for, dietary restriction.