[ UK /ˈækɹənˌɪm/ ]
[ US /ˈækɹənɪm/ ]
[ US /ˈækɹənɪm/ ]
a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name and pronounced as one word
`NATO' is an initialism for North Atlantic Treaty Organization
the word `scuba' is an acronym for s(elf)-c(ontained) u(nderwater) b(reathing) a(pparatus)
How To Use acronym In A Sentence
- Acronyms or abbreviations can confuse a client who is looking for the business in a resource listing.
- The play attracted a great deal of interest: the leading members of the State Yiddish Theater in Moscow (known by the acronym GOSET) came to see it, and the work was the first of several plays to tour other performance halls throughout the Moldavian Republic, including Tiraspol and Chernovtsy. Romanian Yiddish Theater.
- ABC art scree audiotypist adenosine ABBREVIATIONS (4) bioelectrogenesis 3',5'-monophosphate ADP cryochemistry Age of BAL Aquarius EEC cytoecology air battery IDDD dehydrotestosterone Aquarian ACRONYM Age KWOC geoprobe arcjet UNABBREVIATED heliborne, are-jet engine SHORTENINGS (6) adj. VERBATIM: The Language Quarterly Vol XV No 1
- Find out what those pesky acronyms and abbreviations stand for.
- It's generally accepted that you can use acronyms and abbreviations without explanation, where the term is well known by the audience.
- The acronym stands for individual savings account and most people think of them as just that. Times, Sunday Times
- He has funded the program through his JADE Foundation, an acronym comprised of the first initials of his family: children, Jonathan and Alison, and his wife of 32 years, Ellen. Funding Art Therapy for Veterans and Trauma Victims
- These technologies, with a bewildering numbers of acronyms, are described in many reviews.
- In a user guide, they handily provide a list of acronyms.
- Sometimes Carlie hands me the squirt bottle of "Bam" (an acronym for something that begins, ominously, with "butyric" - the rest of it has been worn off the label) and lets me do the bathrooms. Nickel and Dimed