[ UK /wˈʊdkʌt/ ]
- a print made from a woodcut
- engraving consisting of a block of wood with a design cut into it; used to make prints
How To Use woodcut In A Sentence
- The undulating holloway, which has itself sunk through the steady erosion of cartwheels and hooves up to fifteen feet beneath the hillside, translates you from the present into an earlier era when John Nash carved out his woodcuts in English boxwood at the kitchen table under a single lamp-bulb and cultivated the half-wild garden. Wildwood
- Back in the South Sea in Tahiti and from 1901 on the Marquesas Islands, Gauguin produced some thirty more woodcuts - mostly monotypes.
- Our woodcut is taken from the improved model produced by Mr. Stokey; no doubt Mr. Rarey took the idea of his gag-bit from the wooden gag, which has been in use among country farriers from time immemorial, to keep a horse's mouth while they are performing the cruel and useless operation of firing for lampas. A New Illustrated Edition of J. S. Rarey's Art of Taming Horses With the Substance of the Lectures at the Round House, and Additional Chapters on Horsemanship and Hunting, for the Young and Timid
- They would help the communities learn which of their organizational traditions are most useful for stand control, for coordinating woodcutting in specific places, and perhaps for distributing the fruits of harvesting the forest.
- Apart from paintings he produced a good deal of graphic work, including numerous book illustrations in lithograph and woodcut.
- The Crew family were soon followed by others, mostly teamsters or woodcutters.
- Apart from the specially commissioned coronation pictures, none of the 1689 woodcuts were new.
- Hima applies particularly to wildlife and forestry and usually designates an area of land where grazing and woodcutting are restricted, or where certain animal species are protected.
- This is the place where some woodcutters cut down trees.
- Dürer published quite large numbers of his woodcut series in proofs before text on the reverse of the sheet.