- North American grass with slender brushy panicles; often a weed on cultivated land
- European grass spreading rapidly by creeping rhizomes; naturalized in North America as a weed
How To Use witchgrass In A Sentence
- Based on modern plant distribution and abundance, it is plausible that Panicum sp. and Andropogon sp. grains are largely derived from the species switchgrass and big bluestem, respectively.
- The preferred overwintering sites of adult chinch bugs are dense clumps of native warm-season bunchgrasses such as little bluestem, big bluestem and switchgrass.
- I'm opposed to corn-ethanol subsidies for these reasons, but I'm open to switchgrass and other alternatives.
- In southwestern Missouri, switchgrass and caucasian bluestem (an introduced warm-season perennial) are used by beef producers to supplement the tall fescue.
- We must accept whatever good can be got out of it, and keep it under as we do sorrel and mullein and witchgrass, by enriching the soil, and sowing good seed in plenty; by good teaching and good books, rather than by wasting our time in talking against it. Complete Project Gutenberg Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. Works
- A detailed discussion of how much biomass and cellulosic ethanol we could produce (and consume) and the acres required can be found in the Appendix in "Imagining the Future," (here). $40 per ton biomass is very feasible even at single digit yields in acr es per ton of miscanthus or switchgrass (or hopefully diverse grass cocktails) without any significant irrigation or fertilizer. Vinod Khosla: President Bush, Please Declare a War on Oil!
- After years of research, biopower from two unlikely crops - willow and switchgrass - soon may be a reality in New York and Iowa.
- More energy was also required to produce fuels from switchgrass, wood chips, and sunflower plants than their respective fuels generate.
- Among species characteristic of this habitat are Russian thistle, cocklebur, witchgrass, inland Sea Rocket and velvetleaf. Old Woman Creek National Estuarine Research Reserve, Ohio
- Many of these species, such as switchgrass and Miscanthus exhibit high yields because photorespiration is reduced. Photosynthesis