- profit that occurs unexpectedly as a consequence of some event not controlled by those who profit from it
How To Use windfall profit In A Sentence
- The inequity of allowing windfall profits to be appropriated by private landholders can thus be demonstrated more clearly than in George's day.
- You could make a windfall profit - or you might suffer an exchange-rate loss if you encash those assets when the valuation currency is weak against your base currency.
- A windfall profits tax is exactly how it sounds; it is a higher tax rate on profits that ensue from a sudden windfall gain to a particular company. Ah, gerrymandering. | RedState
- (In fact, a 90 percent windfall profit tax on the bailout-created profits of the 19 largest banks would be the ideal way to promote a robust caulker jobs program.) Les Leopold: Clinton's Cash for Caulkers? Not enough Economic Insulation
- In so doing, they will reap windfall profits from a property redevelopment scheme.
- I mean there is a sense of what the -- the idea was, in large part, is that the bill was going to tax what we call windfall profits, profits that are thought to be higher than reasonable on oil companies, and use that money to fund alternative energy. CNN Transcript Jun 11, 2008
- Actually, Obama proposed a rebate of up to $1,000 per family to defray increased heating oil costs, funded by what he calls a windfall profits tax on oil companies. "And John McCain either doesn't know who the Prime Minister of Spain is, thinks Spain is a country in Latin America, or possibly both."
- And if Congress then had to tackle French-fry oil speculators and impose a windfall profits tax on Big Spud, well why not? Cap and Trade for Gasoline?
- He wants to really reduce our dependence on oil entirely, invest in wind and solar and biomass, get away from our dependence on oil, and at the same time in the short term impose a windfall profits tax on the huge profits that oil companies get, and use some of that to help consumers here in the United States. CNN Transcript Jun 24, 2008
- No unearned windfall profit would accrue to the landholder.