marked by good intentions though often producing unfortunate results
a well-meaning but tactless fellow
a well-intentioned but clumsy waiter
the son's well-meaning efforts threw a singular chill upon the father's admirers
blunt but well-meant criticism
How To Use well-meant In A Sentence
- These well-meant but counterproductive measures served mainly to misallocate the available stock of grain.
- blunt but well-meant criticism
- Burns told Thomson and Mrs. Dunlop that this noble and most moving song was old; but nobody believed him then, and nobody believes him now. pint-stoup = _pint-mug_ braes = _hill-sides_ gowans = _daisies_ paidl't = _paddled_ burn = _brook_ fiere = _friend_, _companion_ guid-willie = _well-meant_, _full of good-will_ waught = _draught_ Lyra Heroica A Book of Verse for Boys
- It was not that she actually regretted her engagement, but none the less she found herself supersensitively conscious of it, and she chafed against the thought of the congratulations and all the kindly, well-meant "fussation" which its announcement would entail. The Hermit of Far End
- The Russian peasant at once invites me to his menzil in the caravansarai; and although he looks, if anything, a trifle more indifferent about personal cleanliness than either a Turkish or Persian peasant, I have no alternative but to accept his well-meant invitation. Around the World on a Bicycle - Volume II From Teheran To Yokohama
- Unfortunately, this week you're especially liable to interpret well-meant advice, cautionary tales or even offers of aid as undesired meddling.
- I know it's well-meant, but when you've received so much of it over the years it does become rather tiresome.
- I ducked into the hedge - the last thing I wanted was some party-leaver taking pity on me and pouring well-meant sympathy all over me. TIME OF THE WOLF
- Father Eustace also dealt forth with well-meant kindness those apophthegms and dogmata of consolation, which friendship almost always offers to grief, though they are uniformly offered in vain. The Monastery