in fortunate circumstances financially; moderately rich
they were comfortable or even wealthy by some standards
his family is well-situated financially
well-to-do members of the community
a prosperous family
How To Use well-heeled In A Sentence
- The local church was full of well-heeled people poring over leaflets about the possible dangers of electromagnetic radiation. Times, Sunday Times
- A coterie of well-heeled community leaders stepped out in high style Wednesday night for the announcement of the Houston Chronicle Best Dressed honorees in the couture salon at Neiman Marcus.
- Famous for the fortified wine vinted on its shores, the island of Madeira is as charming now as it was in the days when well-heeled Brits made it their favourite winter roost
- Years ago, when I covered the world of the well-heeled horsey set, I would on occasion visit such ‘farms.’
- John, of course, had long since lost his northern accent and took delight in his appearance as the well-heeled businessman.
- Moreover commercial banks today mainly lend to well-heeled borrowers in their own countries.
- The natives are a leathery, insouciant people; well-heeled women in suggestive topcloths parade around the avenues like so many cockled peacocks, and the men are as manicured as the Egyptians, a tribe of smellsmocks and pinchfarthings jockeying for attention. i search the horizon...
- Starting in May, Wal-Mart shoppers in the U.S. will see signs in stores heralding the return of fishing tackle, bolts of fabric and other "heritage" merchandise that Wal-Mart reduced or cut out altogether as it attempted to spruce up its stores to appeal to more well-heeled shoppers. Wal-Mart Merchandise Goes Back to Basics
- But this well-heeled handyman has become a dedicated dumper.
- Apparently, this well-heeled, green-fingered chap is so proud of the vastness of the garden at his country pad that he has applied for an EU grant to help to develop it.