[ US /ˈweɪvɝ/ ]
[ UK /wˈeɪvɐ/ ]
[ UK /wˈeɪvɐ/ ]
pause or hold back in uncertainty or unwillingness
Authorities hesitate to quote exact figures
- sway from side to side
- give off unsteady sounds, alternating in amplitude or frequency
move back and forth very rapidly
the candle flickered
- move hesitatingly, as if about to give way
be unsure or weak
Their enthusiasm is faltering
move or sway in a rising and falling or wavelike pattern
the line on the monitor vacillated
- someone who communicates by waving
the act of pausing uncertainly
there was a hesitation in his speech
- the act of moving back and forth
How To Use waver In A Sentence
- Seeing her eyes unwavering, he was curious to know what had brought such a change in her attitude.
- Relaxing, in amusement at her unwonted altruism of motive, she had drawn her moleskin coat more closely around her, and settled back to wait the other woman's pleasure in returning to the bright warmth that the pale-orange ribbon of light, wavering upon the swaying platform, harbingered. Undesirables
- It seems like some critics who at one moment will adulate a neo-realistic picture for its unwavering depiction of an emotional truth will the next second decry a film for depicting violence in a graphic/real way. Sundance Movie Review/Video Blog: Michael Winterbottom’s The Killer Inside Me | /Film
- We have not wavered from this position, and we do not intend to do so now.
- Le Monde, read by some 2 million people every day, is one of the country's most influential newspapers with extensive contacts in the French establishment and an unwaveringly intellectual tone.
- Despite the disgrace and humiliation which eventually befell him, he never wavered from his beliefs.
- It was in the public forums, the interminable meetings that became routine, when attention wavered and respect dimmed. Times, Sunday Times
- No longer the torch-bearer of iconoclasm, the scourge of intellectual hypocrisy, I had become instead mere target practice for Banner Wavers Anonymous.
- And, as always, to Mom and Dad and my family and friends for the unwavering support, and to Audrey, James, and Jonathan for putting up with my “spacey” moments and allowing me time to dwell in make-believe lands. Darkness Becomes Her
- But at the base the state depends on people whose loyalties may waver at key moments.