working for hourly wages rather than fixed (e.g. annual) salaries
working-class occupations include manual as well as industrial labor
of those who work for wages especially manual or industrial laborers
party of the propertyless proletariat
How To Use wage-earning In A Sentence
- Caissene said nothing in our two interviews about European-made iron hoes replacing or supplementing Vecha hoes as bridewealth, although Patrick Harries has written that, in the 1860s and 1870s, imported imitations were flooding southern Mozambique and playing a critical role in the mounting struggle, between young wage-earning men and chiefs/homestead heads, over access to bridewealth and marriage. Where Women Make History: Gendered Tellings of Community and Change in Magude, Mozambique
- The rise in the standard of living of the wage-earning population was important, but it must be kept in perspective.
- And a strike, under certain provocation, may extend as far as did the general strike in Belgium a few years since, when practically the entire wage-earning population stopped work in order to force political concessions from the property-owning classes. THE CLASS STRUGGLE
- With the industrial revolution, the number of families with wage-earning fathers began to rise.
- Subsequently, education can improve her wage-earning capacity and contribute to better choices in rental communities.
- We plead that wage-earning women who are economically independent of men by reason of their labour in shop, office, and factory should no longer be compelled to remain voiceless: the dissentients reply that the presence of women in those capacities is an anomaly of civilization, which will not be remedied by the creation o f a fresh anomaly. The Psychology of the Suffragette
- According to the committee that drafted the ADC provision in the law, it was “designed to release from the wage-earning role the person whose natural function is to give her children the physical and affectionate guardianship necessary not alone to keep them from falling into social misfortune, but more affirmatively to rear them into citizens capable of contributing to society.” A Renegade History of the United States
- He had a few songwriting successes as a young man, but he didn't make composition a central wage-earning activity until 1919, when neuritis made it difficult for him to continue playing the viola professionally.
- Homework has also permitted women homemakers to combine housekeeping, cooking, and child rearing with wage-earning activities.
- A major division exists between salaried public service employees who have job qualifications and wage-earning public service employees who do not.