require (time or space)
It took three hours to get to work this morning
This event occupied a very short time
use up (resources or materials)
They run through 20 bottles of wine a week
this car consumes a lot of gas
We exhausted our savings
How To Use use up In A Sentence
- Plantations of exotic non-native trees use up large quantities of water, which can have adverse affects on natural habitats.
- Likewise, among Christians it has long been conventional to use uppercase Orthodox as a term distinguishing the Christianity that shared forms of liturgy and theology rooted in the Byzantine, or Greek-speaking, part of the Roman Empire from those who took a separate path in the West. Jewschool
- He wanted a quiet retreat to build his house upon and concentrate on his work.
- Closer to home, I use up any under-ripe fruit in a cinnamon crumble as a treat for the children.
- My mother, being a superhero in disguise, has decorated the house up all beautifully and put together an amazing spread of all my favourite foods. (shrimp, Brie cheese and other yummies).
- I devised these flowery egg cosies to use up oddments of yarn that I had dyed.
- The crowd of Republican delegates, who had been quite generous with their applause up until that point, sat there in stony silence. The Volokh Conspiracy » Is Stimulus Funding Political?
- Baking it helped me use up some things I might not otherwise have used for a while, like raw flaked almonds and condensed milk.
- The move is expected to cause uproar from trade unions. Computing
- Don't let yesterday use up too much of today. Will Rogers