[ US /ˈəpˈsteɪt/ ]
[ UK /ʌpstˈeɪt/ ]
[ UK /ʌpstˈeɪt/ ]
in or toward the northern parts of a state
he lives upstate New York
How To Use upstate In A Sentence
- Had Stark known from the beginning that the story of the upstate boyhood was all an invention?
- The repeated recitation of upstate New York towns, with their echoes of classical greatness - Thrace, Troy, Rome, Ithaca, Carthage - are ironic echoes of other lost civilizations.
- Unlike my aged grandmothers, Casella is a wizard with beans, which he grows with tender care on an organic plot upstate.
- The Catawba is the primary source of drinking water for much of Upstate South Carolina as well as a major source for electrical production. The Herald | HeraldOnline.com - Front
- Borscht, an old world beet soup long savored by Russian and Eastern European Jewish immigrants, lent its name to the Catskill region of upstate New York where generations of revelers summered at hotels such as the Concord and Grossinger's. A Family Named Gold Tries to Add Cool to a Soup That's the Color Purple
- ALBANY - The economic downturn has hit upstate New York as hard as anywhere in the country but an unusual, high-tech endeavor is taking shape here that could involve billions of dollars in manufacturing investment and possibly thousands of new jobs. In Albany, a boom based on microchips
- But almost immediately thereafter we stashed our luggage here in the city and moved to the mountains in upstate.
- She agrees and, along with her husband, travels upstate to the secluded, wooded oasis.
- Paul, who entered the draft after his sophomore season at Wake Forest, says his competitiveness is the result of growing up competing against his brother C.J., who played at the University of South Carolina-Upstate. USATODAY.com - Small Paul expected to be big force at point guard
- I worked with interior designer Jesse Carrier to merge raw, industrial elements of the space with found items like 19th-century doors from upstate New York and Charme chairs from DDC. The Lady Whisperer