[ US /ənˈwɪtɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /ʌnwˈɪtɪŋ/ ]
[ UK /ʌnwˈɪtɪŋ/ ]
not done with purpose or intent
an unintended slight
an unintentional pun
the offense was unintentional
an unwitting mistake may be overlooked
not aware or knowing
an unwitting subject in an experiment
unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge
he was completely ignorant of the circumstances
his rudeness was unwitting
an unknowledgeable assistant
How To Use unwitting In A Sentence
- The war in which little David Gorey had become unwittingly involved was of a different character, undeclared and unrecognized. A MATTER OF CONSCIENCE
- The movement's admiration of non-European art unwittingly offered artists from minority cultures the opportunity to value their own visual traditions.
- None rested quiet or mute for a second, except the one who kept close as his shadow to her father's side, and unwittingly was treated by him less like the other children, than like some stray spirit of another world, caught and held jealously, but without much outward notice, lest haply it might take alarm, and vanish back again unawares. John Halifax, Gentleman
- Blindly, unwittingly, erringly as Dickens often urged them, these ideals mark the whole tendency of his fiction, and they are what endear him to the heart, and will keep him dear to it long after many a cunninger artificer in letters has passed into forgetfulness. Literature and Life (Complete)
- Parents can unwittingly transmit their own fears to their children.
- Louise's logic suggests that, had Nolan managed to steer Ranger's nod down the right side of the post minutes before Coloccini's unwitting own goal let's be honest, that *would* have been undeserved, which is just absurd. The Guardian World News
- Although our news media are very remiss in educating the public on the great economic tragedy now unfolding, they do unwittingly disclose some frightening facts.
- These were all blameless cases of unintentional and unwitting mental telegraphy, I judge.
- They're innocent victims who've unwittingly exposed themselves, whew, sorted.
- BT told her she must have unwittingly downloaded an automatic dialler onto her computer as she surfed the net.