lacking embellishment or ornamentation
a plain hair style
functional architecture featuring stark unornamented concrete
unembellished white walls
How To Use unornamented In A Sentence
- It relies on composition, using largely unornamented surfaces, with small incidents of ornament, or at times a small-scale over-all pattern.
- It stands on a low and unornamented polished granite plinth in the centre of a small square of bluestone which sits flush with the surrounding turf.
- With the exception of some Warholian meanderings of the camera, the scene is shot in the unornamented style of direct cinema (another movement concerned with an authentic, unmediated art).
- In this film Buñuel abandons his customary surrealism for a subdued, unornamented style.
- In transverse section both inner and outer layers are present although the surface usually appears unornamented.
- It's all most beautifully arranged, but in a manner ferociously determined to leave no surface unornamented. Times, Sunday Times
- When examined using scanning electron microscopy, almost all of the charred material consists of secondary tissue composed of unornamented, elongate cells with exceptionally thick radial walls, arranged in irregular rows.
- The bleakness of Young's After the Gold Rush and Cohen's Bird on a Wire are amplified by her precise enunciation and unornamented piano accompaniment.
- Charles and Ray Eames, Eero Saarinen, Lloyd Wright and Neutra created sleek, unornamented homes that redefined residential living.
- Traditional types and spaces: tenement blocks, streets and squares were to be reinterpreted in austere, unornamented buildings which, some thought, would acquire gentler qualities under the influences of use and time.